Saturday, January 14, 2012

Secrets and scandal


How does one determine what is right and what is wrong? You could think about past experiences that are similar, or maybe you would call upon the help of a trusted family member or friend for their input, many times it is up to the individual to weigh in his own mind what is the proper thing to do. The media is notorious for supposedly “leaking” information, causing secrets to be spilled, and the lives of others to be negatively impacted. I am not a journalist, so my view on this subject may be different than the one who wants to “get the story”. As a future PR practitioner, the dilemma of secrets still can arise.  A secret, by definition, is something that is only known to one or a few people.  Should I do what is best for my company and withhold information that can hurt others? Or do I spill information that could also hurt others? It can be a toss up, but in the end, I believe that information should not be told, unless keeping the secret would negatively impact a majority of society, in which they should have the right to know. Each secret would probably have both positive and negative impacts on others; secrets shouldn’t be leaked in order to hurt others.  A secret should only be told when it would help.  Although keeping a secret is sometimes very difficult, a person’s character is at risk if the leak is found out to be from them.

In any aspect of the media, the quality we value most is truth. Our readers, for the majority, will believe what the media says, and our sources look to trust us in what we say or print. In certain circumstances, telling a secret may be the ethical choice, even if you could be hurting someone in the long run. But what if the journalist withholds information? This could just as badly hurt someone; in the instance they could have helped the situation by telling the secret.

The best scenario I came across in the textbook readings, referred to model Naomi Campbell, and her supposed drug addiction.  She had been in the news countless times before for being arrested, being dropped from her agency, etc.; but this time, she was accused of being a drug addict. She had denied this on numerous occasions, insisting she did not take drugs, specifically cocaine. But a tabloid photographer from the Daily Mirror caught her leaving a Narcotics Anonymous meeting in London. She later sued the tabloid for invasion of privacy, but being an international celebrity rid her of her privacy rights?



Even if the story was true, she stated that the article was “very damaging.” This could have been a problem she was trying to deal with on her own, but being in the spotlight makes some targets for leaking of their private lives. In the end, Naomi won the lawsuit and the judge even mentioned that celebrities should be entitled to “some privacy.” The Daily Mirror felt they were supposedly in the right when it came to sharing the story, since Campbell had in the past deliberately denied the use of drugs.

If I was the journalist in this scenario, I do not think I would have published the story. Even though she is a celebrity, I do believe they are entitled to some privacy, especially when it comes to personal health issues. If she was a drug addict, and attended meetings in order to beat her addiction, she had to accept it to herself first, not wanting the story spread for the whole world to read. Something like this could be damaging to the persons career and personal life. Would you want to be the person responsible for that? 

When thinking whether to share a secret or story, I like to put myself in the other person’s shoes.  In the case of Naomi Campbell, had I not told the story, would anyone have gotten hurt by not knowing? Do her fans have the right to know? In the scenario that actually occurred, I believe this hurt Naomi most, especially since it was regarding her health. Over time, I’m sure the story would have came out anyway, whether the Daily Mirror published it or not, but maybe it would have been from Naomi herself. Celebrities get a lot of attention from fans and media, and maybe if Naomi would have released this story, she could have turned it around to help other addicts in similar situations.

If I put myself in the Daily Mirror’s journalist shoes, I could have potentially ruined my career by letting this secret out if it wasn’t true. Perhaps she was leaving the meeting after trying to help a friend.  The article didn’t say anything regarding the picture he printed, but could it have been doctored? I’m sure fans and readers could have thought this was doctored, causing him to lose his media credibility.  

Especially in the world of the rich and famous, I believe secrets and scandal are inevitable. Many journalists devote their entire career to uncovering secrets.  As a media professional, it’s important to understand boundaries, always have credible sources, and make sure you have all the facts before reveling information. It’s a fine line whether to break a story or secret, that’s why you have to ask yourself the simple question, who would this hurt and whom does it help?

No comments:

Post a Comment